Delimitation on the basis of Census 2011 conducted in the erstwhile state of Jammu and Kashmir is the latest policy flaw from the central government. There is enough evidence that Censuses in Jammu & Kashmir state have been ridden with fraudulent processes since 1961, and the Census of 2011 surmounts them all. These manipulated censuses have had direct impact on Jammu region leading to the subjugation of its Hindu population. Unfortunately, now,members, leaders having past history of supporting separatism and individuals having links with the groups who perpetrated Census frauds against Jammu in past; have been included in the already notified Delimitation Commission by the Government of India. To say that Government of India is repeating the historical mistakes, is not a misplaced statement that this decision will perpetuate the slavery of Jammu region by Kashmiri hegemony.
The decision to initiate new delimitation in J&K based on Kashmir biased and fraudulent 2011 Census figures is no doubt a shocking development, which will negate the impact of neutralization of Articles 370 and abrogation of 35A. With such decision, Jammu will stand betrayed once again and thrown into perpetual slavery of Kashmir Muslim manipulators and one can make out that this is an internal sabotage and keep Jammu hostage to Fundamentalist Kashmiri Islamic hegemony.It will further rehabilitate and strengthen Jihadi separatism movement.
It will be of interest here to have look at the history of fudging Censuses in erstwhile Jammu and Kashmir State to understand how the interests of Jammu province were undermined by Muslim power brokers of Kashmir, and why 2011 census as basis of delimitation is not acceptable to the people of Jammu.
Fraud and fudged censuses in J&K has always been a conspiracy against Jammu, hatched by the successive coward and insecure Central Governments in active connivance with the Fundamentalist Kashmiri Islamic power centers, disguised as mainstream political parties, in order to ensure that power in J&K always remain in the hands of Muslims of Kashmir.
It was 1941, when the first population census was conducted in Jammu & Kashmir. There was no census done in 1951 in the State, and figures for 1951 were interpolated based on 1941 and 1961 census data. Irony is that the population count of 1961 itself is disputed. In 1941, the population of Kashmir was 46.34% as against 53.66% of Jammu Division. In absolute terms, Jammu had population of 20.01 lacs and Kashmir 17.29 lacs.
Let us examine, why 1961 census data is doubtful in the first place. In 1961, using 1941 as the base line data and as per natural growth pattern, population of Jammu region should have been higher than that of Kashmir region, as there are no apparent reasons for population count to swing towards Kashmir. Kashmir lost more population share compared to that of Jammu between 1941 and 1961 when Pakistan occupied parts of J&K state which we now refer as POK.
The false census data of 1961 became base of 1981 census also as no census could be conducted in 1971 due to the war with Pakistan. In 1981, again a fraudulent practice of conducting census with a sole purpose to tilt the balance of population in favor of Kashmir was don and the census of 1991 was a interpolated on 1981 census.
Let us examine the decadal growth rate (in absolute figures) of two prominent Districts Jammu and Srinagar, one each from Jammu and Kashmir Province.
Population growth (in Lacs) in decades 1981-1991 1991 -2001 2001-2011
Jammu 2.65 3.64 6.29
Srinagar 1.84 3.46 5.30
The growth in absolute figures of population during 1981-1991 was higher in Jammu while in 1991-2001, population of Srinagar became almost the same as the population of Jammu.
As per our estimation, the population (in Lacs) in Jammu and Srinagar districts should have been:
1981 1991 2001 1981 1991 2001
Jammu 9.43 15.00 19.00 9.43 12.08 15.72
Srinagar 7.08 5.92 7.05 7.08 8.92 11.83
Different parameters are taken into consideration while arriving at the above figures.
- Migration of population from Kashmir & border areas to Jammu
- ii) Impact of militancy reducing the population in the Valley. This should have led to the multiplier effect in decreasing the growth rate of population in Kashmir.
The manipulation in population figures in Census data is further evident if we examine data of some more Districts each from Kashmir and Jammu provinces visa-a-vis the ground realities. The most militancy hit Kupwara District shows growth rate changing from 26.34% to 27.51% from 1961 to 1991 in three decades. Then it suddenly jumps to 38.59% in the decade of 1991-2001. The growth rate in Baramulla rose from 25.89 % in1981-1991 to 32.70% in 1991-2001, whereas in Srinagar growth was 26% in the decades 1961-1991 and suddenly jumped to 31.45% in 1991-2001. Contrary to this, the growth in District Kathua of Jammu region was 41.25% in 1961-1971, 33.37% in 1981-1991, and then 20.91 in 1991-2001. So, growth rate in Kathuaslidedfrom 41.25% to 20.91%, with no reason for this decline. As per fudged census data, Population of Muslims as a percentage of total population increased by 4.12% whilst that of Hindus and Sikhs fell by 4.27%.
The above analysis puts on record as to why the people of Jammu region feel betrayed. Obviously, population figures of 2011 Census are not acceptable to the people of Jammu Division. Using 2011 fudged Census data base for delimitation will deprive Jammu of its share of higher seat allocation as per the ground reality as compared to Kashmir.
If the Census (Population) as a criteria of Delimitation from Legal Angle is followed then:
1. Delimitation in J&K will be conducted according to The Central Delimitation Act of 2002. This is provided in Section 62(2) of the J&K Reorganization Act, 2019.
2. According to Section 4(2) of the Delimitation Act, readjustment of constituencies shall be done, ”on the basis of the Census Figures”. This means that the primary base for Delimitation is Census Figures i.e. the Population.
3. For J&K, Census figures mean Census figures of 2011. This is according to Section 62(1)(b) of the J&K Reorganization Act, 2019. But we all know that Census 2011 was a fraud and highly Kashmir biased Census exercise.
4. Section 60(2)(b) of the J&K Reorganization Act provides that for determining the extent (physical boundary/map) of the constituencies, regard shall be paid to other factors like physical features, existing boundaries of administrative units; facilities of communication and conveniences to public.
5. These other factors are there to ensure that areas divided by natural barriers like rivers or mountains or absence of roads should not be clubbed together. These should be clubbed with other constituencies which are contiguous to them.
6. So, these other factors will not create more constituencies. These will be a factor in determining as to which area goes to which constituency. For example, applying these factors, Lakhanpur will be clubbed with Kathua constituency. Currently it is clubbed with Basohli. It doesn’t mean that Lakhanpur in itself will become a new constituency.
7. The primary base therefore is Population based upon 2011 Census and other factors are just ancillary or adjuncts. These are mere guidelines for the Delimitation Commission.
8. Practically, weight assisgned to the Population factor is 75% whereas all other factors will have a collective weight of 25 percent.
The fundamental issue that arises here is that when 2011 Census population figures are fraud, fudged and Anti-Jammu, and has a weight of 75%, should the people of Jammu accept Delimitation on Census 2011 basis?
IkkJutt Jammu strongly condemned the move of Government of India in taking the process of Delimitation on the basis of Census 2011, and summarizes its concerns as follows:
- Despite @IkkJutt_Jammuhaving exposed the fraud of 2011 Census, “Delimitation Exercise (is) initiated to redraw Constituencies in J&K”. The result is obvious that Jammu would become a Voluntary Slave to Fundamentalist Kashmiri Islamic Hegemony.
- Fraud Censuses have always been a conspiracy against Jammu hatched by various Indian Governments (may be due to their cowardice or ignorance) in active connivance with the Fundamentalist Kashmiri Islamic Power Centres, resulting in power in J&K always remaining in the hands of the Muslims of Kashmir.
- In 2002, the numbers of voters in Jammu were more than Kashmir by 1.41 lakhs. In 2014, Kashmir voters exceeded Jammu voters by 4.21 Lacs – a swing of 5.67 Lacs. It is surprising as to how Kashmir’s population increased by 14,11,000 in 10 years from 2001 to 2011. According to the fraud 2011 Census, the average population growth of Jammu Province which was 31% between 1971-2001 dropped to 21% in 2011. A decrease of 10% population of Jammu proves that 2011 census amounted to Genocide of 10% Jammu population on paper. Due to migration within and outside J & K on account of Hindu and Sikh Genocide in Kashmir, the percentage growth in Kashmir’s population should have been lower than that of Jammu, but it instead grew by 26% post 1991.
- Census figures show that the difference between population of Jammu and Kashmir increased by 44% between 2001 and 2011 i.e. post outbreak of insurgency in 1989 as compared to 16% between 1971 and 1981, which supports that 2011 census was a fraud. Between 1981 and 2011, population of Muslims as a percentage of total population increased by 4.12% and those of Hindus & Sikhs fell by 4.27%. This can be explained by only two ways – either the Censuses were fraud or the Hindus for some reason got massacred or disappeared in Lakhs. It makes more sense to state that the former is true.
- The fraud of 2011 Census was aimed to destroy Hindus, Sikhs politically, socially, culturally and economically and create the basic foothold for Demographic Jihad in Jammu.
- Delimitation on the basis of 2011 census will only consolidate Muslim Hegemony working against the interest of the Nation as witnessed historically, and also kill the aspiration of Jammu people to be part of healthy democratic process of the country. This injustice to the people of Jammu cannot be corrected later.
- It seems that GOI never learns from its mistakes. The decision to conduct new Delimitation on the basis of Fraud 2011 Census was taken concomitantly with the formation of J&K Apni Party which is also a subversive act and a part of the same design to enforce Muslim Hegemony.
- Instead, if Delimitation is conducted on Census 2021, expected to reflect ground realities, Jammu is expected to get 50 Seats out of 90 and Chief Ministership, which would be fair as it would be based on facts. If fraudulent 2011 Census is taken as basis, Kashmir gets more constituencies than Jammu. But unfortunately, Government of India has trapped itself in the saga of so called secularism based on appeasement of Muslims.
IkkJutt Jammu strongly condemns conducting Delimitation on the basis of fraud 2011 Census, which it considers as an act of internal Sabotage. Doing so will rehabilitate Jihadi separatism.
The Government should wait for the results of 2021 Census operations, the process for which was scheduled to be initiated in April 2020 which is likely to resume once this pandemic situation is brought under control. Jammu can wait for another 2 to 3 years for Assembly Electuons to happen. But it cannot continue to remain a Colony of Kashmir for decades down the line.
(The writer is Chairman IkkJutt Jammu)